Sunday, September 6, 2020

5 Questions with Millwall Analytics


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Millwall Analytics:

What is your first memory of football?

My first memory is watching Soccer Saturday with my dad on the weekends and just loved it when ever they said there was a goal. Then I remember watching Ronaldo at Man Utd and was just star struck. From then I got into football and my Dad was a Millwall supporter so he took me to their games. My first season going Millwall was a good one - we got promoted!

What is the biggest misconception/cliche you’ve found in this space?
Mainly that just because someone has good data/stats, doesn’t entirely mean they’re a great player or that they will be great for your club. I see a lot of fans say, “We should get player X or we should get player Y”. But, that’s not the case. They may be a good player in a different system or for many other reasons. 

If you could start over what skill/perspective would you build on first?

If I were to start over, I wish I was good enough for coding. I, personally, think it’s a great skill to have and can set you up differently to others. However, I still have time to learn so it’ll be alright haha!

What three (3) football icons would you want to have a meal with? Why?

Tough question! I’d say one for sure is Pep Guardiola. Mainly just to pick his brains! Then, for me, Cristiano Ronaldo. I just admire him - his skills, work rate and ambition is superb. Last but not least, Liverpool’s Ian Graham. What he’s doing at Liverpool is an amazing job. I would just love to listen and learn from him!
What is your favorite quote or saying?

I love this simple quote “Talent takes you so far; Hard work takes you even further”. I firmly believe that if you work hard, anything is possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...