Friday, September 4, 2020

5 Questions with Helner


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Helner:

What is your first memory of football?

Portugal reaching the final in the Euro 2004.

What is the biggest misconception/cliche you’ve found in this space?

I hate when things are purposely taken out of context to fit a certain narrative or
opinion. If you’re not sure if what you are reading is true, then do some research and
draw your own conclusions.

If you could start over what skill/perspective would you build on first?

As you are starting, you want to learn and do everything at once and that is never
going to work. I would say be patient and find your own niche, especially if you don’t
have access to platforms such as Instat or WyScout.

For me, it was following Benfica’s youth teams. Which has influenced even more
people to do the same now.

What three (3) football icons would you want to have a meal with? Why?

Renato Paiva - My favorite coach at Benfica and I could ask him so many things about
how the club operates in terms of player development.

Luís Campos – One of Europe’s most sought after Sporting Directors right now and a
reference as a scout.

Ralf Rangnick – His influence in German football cannot be underestimated. His ideas
and methodologies have influenced some of the best managers in the world and the
clubs he has worked for.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

I don’t really have one but recently this one stuck with me: “If there is no struggle there
is no progress”;

Don’t let hard times hinder you and use them for your own personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...