Monday, July 20, 2020

11 Questions with ScoutingBR


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is ScoutingBR:

What is your first memory of football?
I'm just 18 years old, so my first memory was in 2007, when Corinthians, the team that I support, was relegated to Brazilian 2nd division. It was a very sad moment, but I got to celebrate many titles over the past few years, especially the Club World Cup, in 2012, against Chelsea. In European Football, it was Manchester United becoming european champions. That made me become a supporter of the Red Devils.

What attracted you to data and scouting? What’s more intriguing now, refining your processes and acumen or 'discovering' players?

I'm not a professional scout. I've always enjoyed watching youth matches and see how young players develop. So, I just started to write about some of them on my Twitter account. I would love to become a professional scout someday, but for now, it's just a hobby.

What is the biggest misconception/cliche regarding recruitment you’ve found in this space?

Some people think that it's all about numbers, and sometimes, all about one or two matches. You have to watch a player in different situations to understand his talent and which parts of his game he has to develop most, then you'll get to know his potential well.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

I would love to get to know the psychological side of each player by watching them play. It's something so hard to evaluate on the players.

What is more important domain knowledge or curiosity?

I think they work together. You gain knowledge by showing curiosity. Knowledge is more important, you may conquer the world with it.

What is more useful in scouting- breadth of skills or depth of talent? Why?

This is a tough question. I think it's breadth of skills. You face different matches, different situations, different tactics. You have to be ready to work in each one of them.

What three (3) football icons would you want to have a meal with? Why?

Ronaldo Fenômeno. He's a Brazilian legend, won so much for Seleção in such a short career, and how he works after retirement. Alex Ferguson, who's one of my life-time idols, and Andre Villas-Boas, who became FC Porto manager at the age of 29, and has so much tactical knowledge. 

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into this space?

I'm not a professional, as I said, but just watch more matches and learn from people who are or have been in this space. In this days, you have loads of podcasts, speeches, social media profiles... show curiosity and give your best.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

"If you can dream it you can do it". Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...