Wednesday, July 22, 2020

11 Questions with Lucas LM


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Lucas LM:

What is your first memory of football?

Football always reminds me of school, because I joined a club relatively late.

What attracted you to data and scouting? What’s more intriguing now, refining your processes and acumen or 'discovering' players?

I have always loved exploring and meeting new players, beyond those in my country's league. Over the years and the accessibility you can have right now to train as a Scout, my curiosity became a goal and I hope to find my professional opportunity.

The contribution made by the data is very beneficial for the role of a Scout, but it is very important to know how to handle it since the footballer is not just numbers, it has a professional and personal context that you have to know. That's where personal judgment comes in, also with intuition.

What is the biggest misconception/cliche regarding recruitment you’ve found in this space?

I think it is easy to label players from a very young age, and it is a mistake, because professional football is very difficult and it is not only quality that is important. All players who reach a certain level have quality, the difference is marked by the context, their attitude and a bit of luck.
Misuse of data is another frequent mistake. I have seen how a player stands out for the number of goals or assists he has given, without entering to value anything else.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

Better knowledge about big data.

What is more important domain knowledge or curiosity?

A mixture of both, but always starting from knowledge.

What is more useful in scouting- breadth of skills or depth of talent? Why?

It always depends on what you need. For example, in a club that needs no relegation and with limited resources, it would be more normal for them to look for players who give an immediate performance. In the teams of the TOP5 leagues, the number of young players tends to decrease when the resources are less (there are exceptions).

When you are looking for talent to develop, you have to offer a very favorable context (training, minutes of play, attention to development) for that player to grow to the level we expect.

What three (3) football icons would you want to have a meal with? Why?

1. Bielsa: He is an idol for me, regarding football and also as a person and the values he transmits. He has a philosophy that I share and represents a lot to me. Also, I have read that he likes good food.
2. Aimar: He is my favorite player. Not only for his incredible talent, but also for his personality and how he has managed his career, without controversy. All the fans recognize the quality of him and that is difficult. In addition, he is now a coach and with ideas that attract me a lot.
3. Klopp: Genius, in every way. I love his character and the feelings he conveys. I like his football and it would be a dream to meet him.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into this space?

That he has to work very hard, be consistent and try to differentiate himself from others, with his own style and that identifies him.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

"You don't always get what you deserve."

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...