Sunday, May 31, 2020

11 Questions with Willem Weijs


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Willem Weijs:

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

I was in San Francisco for training sessions during a summer camp. I met some youth coaches from PSV over there and they asked me to come to PSV for an internship. When I heard that news a real dream came true. I decided to join them and it was a good chance to grab my chance. 

What attracted you to coaching/data/scouting? What’s more intriguing now names or numbers?

What attracted me the most in coaching is the mysterie of creating a real team. Every person has his owns interests and background and I see it as a challenge to know the players better and build a strong relationship. The challenge to create your typical way of playing with the team is interesting every time when you start again. There are always situations during a season that you have to make decisions as a coach which you didn't learn on a course or by reading a book. To make the best decision in these situations is what attracts me!

What type of player fascinates you? What caught your eye?

In general I like it when a player has real weapons and I strongly believe in the fact that a team needs a lot of qualities and weapons to win games. But when I have to choose one position it's the number 6 on the midfield. The one who helps the two central defenders to build up. In my opinion Sergio Busquets is the best in the world on this position. He has everything I ask from a player on this position. He's skilled in receiving and passing, good in possession game, good eye for space, strong in taking position for second balls and can control the whole midfield with these qualities. I think the 6 is the most important player in the way how I want to play.

What is the biggest misconception you’ve found in this space?

That talent is calculable. It surprised me so often that I have a strong believe that you need some weapons and work hard and then there's possible so much. For sure not everything but a lot. 

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

The way how to manage and coach a team. I think as a coach you can learn really fast a lot of theoretical stuff but the way how to work together with your players and staff is much more complicated and takes more time.

What is more important domain knowledge or curiosity?

For sure curiosity because I believe that when a person is curious knowledge will be a logical resumption. Besides, curiosity will take care of your growth mindset which is crucial to achieve your (personal) goals.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

As a temporary head coach of NAC Breda we won against PSV Eindhoven in our cup game at home. It was a fantastic night in which everything came together. A good game plan, nice goals and amazing support that night.

What coach or player would you give a lifetime contract to? Why?

I should give Pep Guardiola a lifetime contract because of two reasons. One, his game plan and way of playing is very clear, attractive and dominant. Two, he's a top coach who asks a lot from his staff, the players but also from his self. That shows me the belief that a lifetime contract isn't a problem at all.


Who is your favorite athlete? Why?

My favorite athlete is Lionel Messi. His quality and his weapons in the game are amazing and his personality with his calmness and balance in a world with so many temptations is admirable.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...