Sunday, May 31, 2020

11 Questions with Steven Scott


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Steven Scott:

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

My first professional level opportunity in football came out because I simply put myself out there and impressed someone. I impressed him by creating a book, which showcased my knowledge and what not. I sent it to someone and then he replied saying that he was impressed but couldn't help me out right now. However, he kept me in the back of his mind and when something came up I was ready. From there you roll with it and do your best. One thing leads to another. Without that opportunity I wouldn't be where I am today. 

What attracted you to data/scouting? What’s more intriguing now names or numbers?

To answer your question, it was just the game. I was attracted to the game. First it started out with watching it religiously, then it turned into coaching, then writing and analyzing it, then data came into play, etc. I am attracted to the game and all of the surrounding aspects around it. It's quite fascinating when you dig deeper into not only the gameplay, but when there's socio-economic, religious, etc., etc. aspects that give each nation, club, federation an identity. As an advertising/branding student - I can't get enough.
To cop out, I think it's impossible to have one without the other. No one should recruit a player or make tactical decisions solely on numbers or video. I believe there HAS to be both in order to be successful. For example, if you don't truly understand how data is evented (or gathered) you wont fully understand what the limitations and/or opportunities you'll have with data. With video, it's knowledge of the game and understanding what to look for. That being said, if you're into soccer/football analytics you should obviously have domain knowledge as well. 

What type of player fascinates you? What caught your eye?

I am always interested in the player that either you look over because he's executing every action as one should (Lahm, Busquets, etc), or the one that sees and reacts to things quicker than to everyone. To me, that's the difference between class and form, which is an important distinction.
What is the biggest misconception you’ve found in this space?

This one is tough to answer for me. I think I'd have to say that the recruitment process for players isn't as organized as what people think it is. Being the person I am though (OCD on efficiency and try to make systemic, sustainable, and repeatable frameworks) I'm hoping to change that.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

Math. I honestly think I'm terrible at math. I have good ideas but I don't know how to execute them. 
For others, I'd say work on communication. I've always had issues with people who can't communicate properly and effectively. If you can't convey an idea simply, it's no use to anyone
.

What is more important domain knowledge or curiosity?

I think curiosity leads to domain knowledge. At least, that's how I got mine. To answer your question, I'd say in the end it's domain knowledge. However you need curiosity to get that domain knowledge.  I'm realizing now this is a chicken and the egg question.

For example, I have lots of knowledge of the game because I was obsessed over understanding everything I came across. Tactical concepts, movement, techniques, etc., etc. One thing led to the other and it just hasn't stopped.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

My own sports moment, going to my first ever Bundesliga game in Berlin when I lived there. Was absolutely fantastic. 
In terms of a neutral standpoint, it's probably between the UCL shootout between Chelsea and Manchester United and Nottingham Forest winning the league after promotion then winning two European cups back to back.  The UCL shootout has such a great story behind it, it's worth looking up why Van Der Saar pointed to his left when Anelka went up to take his penalty
.

What coach or player would you give a lifetime contract to? Why?

Coach: KloppPlayer: Messi
DoF: Promote Arsene Wenger


Why Messi? Because he's without a doubt the best player in the world and you can build a team around him.

For Klopp, I think I'd give it to him because his strength isn't his tactical understanding, it's actually his ability to understand the human he's coaching and get the best out of them. Pure and simple we're dealing with people, not robots, and I think he's the best man manager in the game. I do think the next step after the augmentation of tracking data on event data will be focusing on the type of human the player is. It'll be as important as understanding what that player brings to a football field.

I need to include Wenger on this list because his ability to understand and effectively do various things is quite remarkable. His ability to understand talent development, understanding people and getting the best out of them, and understanding football as a whole and when to buy/sell players thanks to his Economics masters degree. Without a doubt I'd put my faith in him if I was an owner. Just give him a support staff to help him make decisions. 

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into this space?

The question I ask people is always, "How bad do you want this?"

There was a time where I had 4 jobs, all in soccer/football, barely getting by, working from the moment I got up to the moment I went to bed. If I didn't go through that period, I wouldn't be where I am today. Put simply: work hard.

The other thing I'd say is study, study, study. Know everything inside and out. The moment you think you know everything is the moment you get left behind.

Who is your favorite athlete? Why?

This one is tough for me because I don't really have a favourite athlete. But if I had to say someone, I'd probably have to give a few. 

So here are my few and why:
Vivianne Miedema: Unreal talent, helped Arsenal win the title last year, and will probably break Christine Sinclair's record of most international goals scored
Roger Federer: The level of talent, humility, and ability to adapt has always astounded me. Just a gentleman who has an incredible ability.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

I have a few:
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - African Proverb

"Rome wasn't built in a day...but I wasn't on that particular job." - Brian Clough

"The only possible moment of happiness is the present. The past gives you regrets. And the future uncertainties. Man understood this very fast and created religion. It absolves you of what you’ve done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, because he’ll go to paradise. It means make the most of the present. Man “self psychoanalysed” himself very quickly through faith." - Arsene Wenger

"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son"
- Rudyard Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...