Wednesday, May 13, 2020

11 Questions with Georgina Nielsen




The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.



How did your first opportunity in football come about?


I got my first opportunity in football through coaching at grassroots level. I then went to University to study Football Coaching and Management which allowed me to access some brilliant placement opportunities. My first professional opportunity came through academy scouting for Preston North End.


What attracted you to coaching? What’s more intriguing now winning or

developing players?


Before I much about football I saw coaching as the only way of getting a career through the sport. I played until I was 18 but had to stop through long term medical issues, my goal then was to stay in football. Firstly, this was through coaching but now have studied Football Coaching and Management at UCFB Etihad whilst being a scout and analyst as well. Developing players is first and foremost the most important part of coaching young grassroots teams. Many players are there just to spend time with their friends or burn some energy after school, so it is vital that your sessions are fun and engaging.


Who is the first coach/teacher that resonated with you? What stood out?


I have always loved sport, many of my family members both male and female have played sport to a good standard. The first teacher that stood out to me was at Primary school. She was always eager for her pupils to try may different sports which I loved. She would always let me help her in organising the PE lessons even when I couldn’t take part through illness. Then when I started playing football for Huddersfield Town Ladies I had two great coaches, Heckler and Carter. They really took time to understand my illness and did everything they could to help me to continue playing for as long as possible. The coaching was great too, I really developed in the years I was there. But the main thing that stood out was their empathy and kindness, which has shaped the way I approach my players.


What is the biggest misconception in football? Why?


I would say a big misconception in football is that in order for you to be a top coach/analyst/scout you will have played football professionally. I have met and worked with so many brilliant coaches/analysts/scouts that have only played the game at a very low level, however they have incredible knowledge through studying the game in huge detail. It obviously helps if you are a professional footballer to step into one of these roles straight from playing but being a professional footballer isn’t a major characteristic of being a good coach/analyst/scout.


If you could start over what skill would you build on first?


Probably communication, I believe that if you communicate in the correct manner everything else will come from it.


Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Which would you start with?


I think that it’s a bit of both. It is a science in the respect that you can do certain things that you know will improve a player over time, so many things can be monitored to show predictions such as growth and maturation now. However, it is an art to know exactly how to motivate a player to go the extra mile or believe that they can achieve something. I think that it is the art that separates a good coach/analyst/scout from a great one.


What is your favourite sports moment? Why?


There are so many that come to mind. Being a Tottenham fan, the Champions League matches away against Manchester City and Ajax last season were unbelievable. Then Wales getting to the Semi-Finals of Euro 2016 and AJ Vs Klitschko was like Rocky brought to life. But the moment that stands out for me over the others is Chelsea Vs Bradford City in the FA Cup 4 th Round. Chelsea hadn’t lost at Stamford Bridge in a long time and then going 2-0 it looked impossible for Bradford to come back. The scenes at full-time were incredible it was a party all the way home!


What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?


Three coaches come to mind; Sir Alex Ferguson, Mauricio Pochettino and Chris Coleman. Sir Alex for his ability to consistently know when things need refreshing and long term planning. Mauricio who shows many similarities to Sir Alex because of his trust and nurturing of young players. Finally Chris Coleman for his man management and his ability to create a positive culture with the Welsh national squad. One player who inspired me from a very young age is Ledley King, not only a great defender but really struggled with injuries and kept on pushing through to stay at the top.


What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into coaching/scouting/analytics?


I would suggest do the groundwork! In order to get noticed in the football industry you need something to show, it can be as simple as analysing a match on tv to practice and then sending around via twitter/LinkedIn. Social media is a great tool to network with industry professionals. Then once you manage to get a role go the extra mile to understand the coach you are working with, almost knowing what they want before they even know themselves.


What is your favourite app/tool to use (for fun only!)?


Nacsport for my analysis.


What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work?Why?


I think listening to music probably relaxes me and gives me a small break from football, I played the piano a lot as a child so I would like to pick that up again. I like to go to the boxing with my dad, I feel boxing is a sport that has always been ahead of the pack with sports science. Finally traveling the world allows me to understand different cultures and adapt my philosophy accordingly.




No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...