Monday, March 16, 2020

11 Questions with Jonathan Hartmann

The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Jonathan Hartmann of @LyngbyBoldklub:

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

My former coach asked me if it would help him be his assistant coach in my childhood club. 

What attracted you to coaching? What’s more intriguing now winning or developing players?

For me, it always goes hand in hand. We need to develop our collective style of play and our individual skills in order to ensure the best possibilities of winning weekend to weekend.

Who is the first coach/teacher that resonated with you? What stood out?

Rasmus, my last coach and the one who inspired me to do coaching. His professionalism and eye for small details was at a high level.

What is the biggest misconception in football? Why?

Winning culture. You don't win because you say that you want to. You win if you work hard, make the right tactics, and develop the best players.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

Professionalism and tactical knowledge. That is for me the foundation of the work of every coach.

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Which would you start with?

It's a job. And just as in every job you need to learn and master different techniques.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

Our promotion this summer from the second best league to the best league. No one thought we could do it, but we did anyway.

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

Pep Guardiola. Extremely detail orientated and very skillful. And his teams are always enjoyable to watch.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into scouting/analytics?

Make it happen. Go for it. It takes a lot of matches to reach a certain point, where you can feel comfortable in your analysis, so get cracking.

What is your favorite app/tool to use (fun only!!!)?

Wyscout helps me with all my analyzing.

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as an analyst/scout? Why?

I am more than busy enough keeping track of the Danish Superliga, so that is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...