Monday, March 16, 2020

11 Questions with Greg Walsh


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Greg Walsh:

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

My first scouting role was with Blackburn Rovers working within the academy.

It came about when Greg Batten contacted me asking if I would be interested in a position which I thoroughly enjoyed.

What attracted you to scouting/analytics? What’s more intriguing now names or numbers?

I always wanted to Scout.

The idea of looking for talented players always was of an interest to me, either in grassroots, Academies or first team.

I started with grassroots and academy and worked my way up to first team.

Who/what is the first player/concept you "found"? What caught your eye?

I’ve discovered a lot of players at different levels but the one who stands out is Caolan Boyd Munce at Birmingham City.

I remember seeing him at the milk cup in Northern Ireland and was really impressed.

We got him signed at Birmingham City and there was a lot of interest at the time, and he’s now with the first team and is a real talent.

It’s not just about finding a player and that’s it, there is more to it and I still speak to Caolan and his family to this day.

Who/what is the player/concept you "missed" on? What did you learn from it?

I won’t mention names, but I did like a player and he’s now at Chelsea.

I’ve learnt, if you really believe in the player just go after them if it doesn’t happen at least you tried.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

It wouldn’t be a skill.

I think it would be more of an experience trust thing.

I’ve learnt to keep your cards close to your chest and be careful who you speak to and what you say; football is ruthless.

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Is development on the club or the player? Why?

To Develop a player it’s a balance.

The conditions and staff have to be right so the player can be nurtured and coached to be the best they can be.

A excellent and friendly environment with top class coaching.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

I’ve many in different capacities, but I will always remember playing away at Southport.

I was having a really good game and blocked a cross tracking back and I ran into the advertisement boards.

I looked into the stand and a little girl looked at me and said “ I don’t like you” that’s probably it to be honest.

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

I remember a coach I had called Denzil Hart.

He was an excellent coach and was always guiding me on and off the pitch.

I’ve always tried to be like Denzil and be honest and truthful and say how things are it’s in everyone’s best interest as football is hard and competitive enough.

Denzil now suffers with Motor Neuron Disease and is a real inspiration to me.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into media/analytics?

I don’t know much about Media.

I guess it would be network make loads of connections.

Always be honest and approachable and people will help you.

What is your favorite app/tool to use (for work or fun)?

My Favourite app has to be YouTube.

I can literally sit for hours and watch random stuff on there.

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as an analyst? Why?

I enjoy driving which helps traveling the country to games.

Sorry that’s the best answer I can think of!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...