Saturday, February 1, 2020

11 Questions with Giels Brouwer



The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Giels Brouwer, founder and CIO of @Gielsbrouwer :

How did your first opportunity in sports come about?

While I was still a student at the University of Twente, I reached out to FC Twente where I proposed them to enrich their scouting department by using data analytics in the recruitment process. They thought the idea was interesting for them and I wrote my thesis at the football club, under supervision of the Technical Director (Cees Lok) and Head of Scouting (Evert Bleuming). They showed me the process and after I finished my thesis, we founded the SciSports with two of my friends (Anatoliy Babic and Remco van der Veen) who were experts in their domain.

What attracted you to analytics? What’s more intriguing now names or numbers?

Football Manager sparked the inspiration. Analytics can help you to understand the game in more detail and they can provide you by gaining the 1% edge. In elite sports, this 1% can make the difference. For me, the game will always remain the game. The most satisfying is if you turn something extremely complex into easily consumable actionable insights. 

What is the first model/concept you "found"? Python or R? Why?

Actually we started with MatLab, which we've learned at the Uni. Once we were looking for a more scalable solution, we've changed our stack to Python. Python enables you to prototype and develop fast. I believe Python is better for a scalable solution. 

What is the biggest misconception in sports? Why?

The biggest misconception in sports is either that data is rubbish or data is holy. Data is a tool that can provide you with new insights if used properly. Wrong models are as bad as wrong intuitions. For sports in general I believe that the biggest misconception is that talent is a stable condition. Talent could be enhanced or could die, depending on circumstances. Bart Heuvingh (AZ Alkmaar) is an expert on this aspect and he is able to inspire for hours on the importance of growth mindset. 

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

Building a network. 

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Why?

I believe science is an art. It could be beautiful and touch you. Setting conditions to get everything out of your talents is both art as science.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

The most amazing player I've seen live is strangely Quincy Owusu-Abeyie in the Netherlands U17 - Japan U17 match on June 10th 2005. He was extraordinary and the debate was if he or Messi would grow out as the best player in the world. Back then, no one could tell.

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

Many teams inspire me. The Islandic national team and their youth development structure. Another team is the Ajax squad that outperformed in the Champions League last year. And the way Atalanta Bergamo became a great team always inspires me as well. Regarding coaches, Cruijff will always remain the #1 legend for me.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into analytics?

Be open, showcase what you can, develop yourself, don't be afraid to ask. Don't go there for the money, go for the dream.

What is your favorite app/tool to use (for work or fun)?

Nintendo Switch of PS4.  

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as an analyst/scout? Why?

Playing Football Manager -> These guys are the real deal.
Reading (fantasy) books -> My favorite books are fantasy or scifi books, they can spark imagination and the stories are often transferable to real-life.

Next to that, travelling to new places always gives me new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...