Monday, January 27, 2020

11 Questions with Matt Gordon

The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Matt Gordon, coaching director at Colorado Youth Soccer Club.

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

I started coaching for Leicester City in their after school and school holiday programs when I was 16, an opportunity afforded to me through my school at the time who had a relationship with the club. The club helped organize coaching licenses through the English FA and that’s where it all began. 

What attracted you to coaching? What’s more intriguing now winning or developing players?

Developing players has always been a passion of mine, from day one with Leicester City, that’s always been the focus. I’ve been lucky enough, since moving to the US, to work with semi-pro teams where the focus has shifted a little, but development, even at that level was a core part of what our identity was. 

Who is the first coach/teacher that resonated with you? What stood out?

There have been so many, I remember when I was in primary school having a teacher who displayed so much empathy with myself and classmates. When I was a teenager, having an English teacher talked to me like a person first, before being ‘just another student’ - Those people probably had a bigger influence than I could have ever thought. 

Coaches have stood out, both good and bad. Growing up playing in England, the game was different then, and so were standards in youth coaching, I think that’s changed for the better today. On a more positive note, one coach who approached the game and related to players really stands out whilst I was playing, similar to my school teachers, he approached players as people first. 

Since turning to coaching, the energy, depth of thought and compassion have been the standout characteristics of one of peers. Incredibly successful in every sense of the word, and carries himself with an aura of expertise, which is compounded by humbleness. 

What is the biggest misconception in football? Why?

I think there are so many, I think many don’t understand how long the game has existed, how many ideas come and go, how many concepts come back full circle. People are quick to jump on new ideas and praise them to the hilt, but seldom is anything new in the game from a coaching perspective. 

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

Relationship building. Without a doubt. 

The best environments I’ve worked in, I’ve been so lucky to have incredible, long lasting relationships with those people, both on and off the field. Without relationships of coaches, players, staff, fans, you don’t get very far in this sport. 

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Which would you start with?

I believe in the science out there, I believe that building relationships is a science, there’s a lot of literature out there which supports as much. But the game is an art form in my opinion, to play the game, to watch the game, you stimulate creativity. To criticize the team you support or the referee, or the coach or players, you stimulate emotion and that’s what art of all forms brings to life. 

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

I’m a Leicester City fan, we had a really good season a few years ago…But we’ve been through some pretty bad season too! 

I was lucky enough to watch an Ironman event in 2019, I stood at the finish line and felt every single emotion of those athletes crossing the line, that was a really powerful moment for me. Experiences like that are too many to count, watching the olympics and knowing what some of those athletes who live below the poverty line go through to even qualify for the games, let alone succeed in the games, those moments are really how I see sport. 

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

I’m inspired by coaches who view the game differently, Bielsa, Setien, Pep, Cryuff, Allegri, the list goes on and there’s too many to name. The All Blacks, Team GB, Iceland, Wales, Uruguay, small nations who achieve unbelievable feats.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into coaching/scouting/analytics?

Coach as much as possible, watch games as much as possible, understand what relevant data is. If you think you’re doing enough, do 3x more. 

What is your favorite app/tool to use (for work or fun)?

Twitter is an unbelievable resource for sports in general now, there are so many high level voices who are using the platform, it’s impossible not to learn something. 

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work?Why?

I’m lucky to live close to the mountains, I love to get away into areas of no service, either hiking, bike riding. I have to exercise everyday, in the mountains or in the gym, it’s my get away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...