Monday, January 27, 2020

11 Questions with Fernando Campelo


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Fernando Campelo, of Smart Scouting Club 


How did your first opportunity in football come about?

I come from a betting background and I realized I was analysing football quite deeply. I read a lot about scouting, tactics, etc and did some reports on players as freelance but the first real chance was analysing an Estonian team in a Champions League Qualifying. I did it for Hibernians in Malta. They liked my work and asked me to help them for the next round against Salzburg. We kept in touch after that and eventually I started helping them to scout, attract and choose players in the following transfer windows.

What attracted you to scouting/analytics? What’s more intriguing now names or numbers?

I was scouting players as a hobby and I always looked for a way to make my reports more levelled, trying to avoid biases since I started as I noted that biases were a common place in scouting opinions and reports. So when I discovered that I could add data into the mix it was good news to me.

Who/what is the first player/concept you "found"? What caught your eye?

I think the first moment that I realized that basic data could help was when I started using per 90 metrics for players. This way I could compare player’s stats and that was easy to apply to any level. In 2015 I started using xG which had a huge impact on me.

Who/what is the player/concept you "missed" on? What did you learn from it?

I don’t think I’ve missed anything. I am always reading and aware of any news regarding scouting and analytics. Of course, sometimes I struggle to understand a concept or don’t know how to apply it.
Regarding players, it is normal that you think that a player is good and then he will fail and the opposite will happen also. There are many factors that you cannot control even when you do the research well. That’s why analytics helps, more relevant info means less margin of error.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?
I’m still improving my coding skills which are very basic. Coding helps a lot and it is always good to learn new things.

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Is development on the club or the player? Why?

All options are correct. I think player development today it is still more of an art but maybe in the future coaches can apply more science than art into it. Clubs may help a lot in the development but you will see talent flourish anywhere despite the difficult conditions.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

I support Celta and they have never won an official trophy but I will always remember the big European wins against Juventus, Benfica, Milan and also avoiding relegation in 2013 because it was extremely unlikely.   

Spanish National football team gave us big moments, like the European Championship in 2008 and the World Cup title as well.

I have watched many good sport moments, I like all sports, but Spain winning FIBA World Championship in 2006 was a very special moment, the semi-final against Argentina and crushing Greece in the final despite they were favourite.  

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

Bielsa, ethically and aesthetically. Liverpool and the way they have been improving since Klopp arrived, using analytics, being very smart in the transfer windows, hiring coaches for set pieces, etc. they have been trying the get all the marginal gains they could and it seems it is working very well for them despite facing teams with bigger budgets.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into media/analytics?

Do something you like, be passionate about it and try to read and learn as much as you can. Show the world what you can do.
What is your favorite app/tool to use (for work or fun)?

Twitter is the app that I use more. It is my source of information and a way to be connected to the scouting and analytics scene.  I am a heavy Instat user as well. I am always watching football and checking stats.

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as an analyst/scout? Why?

Betting was very important to set up an analytical mind and to take responsibility of your decisions. It helps thinking in probabilistic ways, decision making and to understand that every choice has its consequence.


Reading is a great form of acquiring knowledge and inspiration. I like to watch all kind of sports and sometimes I find ideas that may be useful to apply in football / scouting / analytics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...