Thursday, January 9, 2020

11 Questions with Eric Wilde


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Eric Wilde, analyst at Forward Madison FC and coach at Strike FC.


How did your first opportunity in football come about?
    
A few months after I stopped playing seriously I decided to do my first license.  I got to talking with one of the instructors and he helped me get in contact with a local club.  

What attracted you to coaching?
    
Even when I was a player, I was always interested in learning more about the game, from basic tactical ideas to watching players in my position and trying to copy them.  Football was my entire life growing up so I always kind of assumed I would coach eventually.  

Who is the first coach/teacher that impressed you ? What caught your eye?
    
There are two that come to mind, one that I had for several years growing up and one that I had when I was finishing playing.  I admired their knowledge and passion for the game, but I think what separates them from other coaches is how they were able to make each individual better.  

Who is the player you "missed" on? What did you learn from it?
    
There have been a couple that when they were younger at my club I didn't rate them very highly, but a few years later have really progressed.  I think it's important to be patient with young players and realize each one will develop differently.  Some of the boys were a little more reserved personalities as kids which was mistaken for a lack of effort/desire, but as the matured as people they grew into better players.  I've made an effort since to first understand the person you are working with because once you've done this then you will be able to coach him/her better.  

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?
    
Game Insight / Decision Making.  

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science?
    
A combination of the two for sure, but I would probably lean towards more of an art.  You could have the best ideas and knowledge, but if you can't communicate it to the players clearly and in a way that inspires them you will not get the results you're after. 

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?  
    
For me personally, the team I work for as an analyst had a tough match away from home on the last day of the season and needed a win to get into the playoffs.  We ended up putting in a really good performance and won 1-0.  That was a pretty special moment.  As a fan, Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria at the 2010 World Cup is up there.

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?
    
I'm not a fan of either team, but I admire the way Klopp and Bielsa have completely changed the atmosphere around their clubs as well as significantly improved them on the field.  I've also been analyzing the Bundesliga a lot more recently as I think there are several interesting coaches there such as Naglesmann, Rose, and Streich.  

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into coaching?
    
Never stop learning.  Licenses are of course necessary, but those courses are naturally built around passing the class instead of real development.  It's up to you to improve yourself whether that's through study visits, reading, or simply analyzing top teams/players more deeply and learning from them.  

What is your favorite app/tool to use (for work or fun)?
    
I do a lot of video analysis work and have found a lot of those programs useful.  Even with younger players it can be used to focus more on the individual players instead of tactical things and at that age they love to watch themselves play on video.  LongoMatch is what I have been using recently for this.

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as a coach? Why?

Reading.  It doesn't necessarily have to be football books.  Anything that helps you understand people and what inspires them or how they think will help you as a coach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...