Wednesday, January 29, 2020

11 Questions with Chaka Simbeye


The pursuit of wisdom in any walk of life quickly reveals that what you think you know is not nearly enough to get you to where you want to go. As I'm starting out in my football scouting journey I challenged myself to reach out to those already working in various roles in football to answer a short list of questions. My goal wasn't to get answers but relevant perspectives on the game within the game.

Here is Chaka Simbeye, creator of @LeftBackFtball

How did your first opportunity in football come about?

I started blogging about football on a WordPress account when I was 16 and just finishing
high-school but I was not doing it well and I was not really seeing the game from a
tactical perspective. I started with Get French Football as the French National Team were
preparing for the 2014 World Cup as I got interested in Antoine Griezmann’s National
Team introduction as well as his growth as a key player. Then I started blogging with
Football Oranje, doing features on Dutch Football, improving my writing, research and
analytical skills.

What attracted you to scouting/analytics? What’s more intriguing now names or
numbers?

Growing up in Africa, I was quite blessed to have the Bundesliga, English Premier
League, La Liga and Serie A on one channel which was SuperSport, giving me a well-
rounded knowledge of European football. Also, curiosity, I grew up an Arsenal fan and
Arsene Wenger was signing little known players from around Europe, so I started
watching more European football to gain an insight into future Arsenal signings. I
remember collating a ton of Articles of David Villa and David Silva when I thought they
were going to sign while I was in Primary School. Every computer I went on, had
‘Arsenal Transfer News’ in its search history.

I think names are more interesting, especially in terms of the young managers around the
world. Most people in between the ‘boomer’ and ‘Gen X’ age groups will watch a team
that they will not normally watch because of the managers. A ton of people watched Red
Bull Salzburg because of Marco Rose, Stuttgart and Holstein Kiel because of Tim Walter
and Hoffenheim because of Julian Nagelsmann. Numbers are interesting to me but only
in terms of how they are applied. I have this idea of Nagelsmann improving strikers
dramatically because he allows his strikers more touches of the ball and high-quality
shots.

Expected Assists is important as last season, I wrote an article on Max Kruse and found
that he had a lot of situations where he had a lot of touches in the build-up to goals and
chances created which did not translate to assists. Situational metrics are interesting to me
as when I think about Expected Goals, I think of Alessandro Diamanti shot locations and
Ted Knutson. I like numbers, but I prefer to have a basis explaining the metrics behind it
as I am not an Ivy-League mathematician.

Who/what is the first player/concept you "found"? What caught your eye?

I watched PSV blow the Eredivisie away with Memphis Depay and Georginio Wijnaldum
a few years ago. I liked how Andres Guardado became a ball-playing midfielder in that
system. However, I remember in Julian Nagelsmann’s first game at Hoffenheim against
Werder Bremen, Rene Maric tweeted a video of how Nagelsmann used a pressing trap to
win possession and score a goal. I became more deeply enamoured with the tactical side
of the game and situational analysis after that. I feel we all grew up on Spielverlagerung
and Football Manager developing knowledges of concepts and players.

Who/what is the player/concept you "missed" on? What did you learn from it?

Writing and analysing the Eredivisie, you tend to miss on a lot. I thought Vincent Janssen
and Memphis Depay would still be in the Premier League. I learned to watch other
leagues to watch the pace of the game, systems, player roles while I learned to watch how
a manager uses a player rather than a player on their own. For instance, if a winger is
good at cutting in and scoring then moves to another club where the manager tasks him
with stretching play and remaining in the wide zone, he obviously becomes less effective.
If a midfielder looks great in a double-pivot but is then asked to play as a solitary six,
then he will struggle. Plus, you learn that you never really know with attacking
midfielders until you see them play in a deeper role or out wide.

If you could start over what skill would you build on first?

I would like to learn how to build my own statistical models, code and have a better
understanding of the biological side of players. I also would love to speak more languages
as I am only really fluent in English.

Do you see player development as more of an art or a science? Is development on the club
or the player? Why?

It is art and it becomes art because of the balance between the club and player. The club and
manager have to put the player in the best situation to succeed with information, training and off-
the-field issues. Another is that the player has to be motivated to do so and has to have a
connection with the manager. For instance, I watched Fares Bahlouli at the Toulon Tournament
and he was the best player. Despite being at club’s renown for bringing through youth like
Monaco and Lille, I have not heard about him since.

There was also a situation at Ajax a few years ago where Peter Bosz took over and was bringing
through youngsters, but Anwar El Ghazi, Kenny Tete and Jairo Riedewald were dropped despite
making their debuts with the Dutch National Team, just months before. They just did not suit
Bosz’ system. Injuries and recovery also play a bigger part than we can ever imagine

Last season, I saw Javi Ontiveros instantly take an upturn in form under the coaching of Victor
Sanchez Del Amo because he just put him in a system that liberated him. He did the same with
Dani Ceballos at Real Betis after Gus Poyet did not play him for half a season, both earned
moves to Villareal and Real Madrid, respectively.

What is your favorite sports moment? Why?

I have begun to root for the underdogs, so I guess, I enjoyed Ajax’ campaign in the UEFA
Champions League last season. I distinctly remember a Hertha Berlin vs Borussia
Monchengladbach match from a few years ago where Salmon Kalou scored a hat-trick, the week
after his father had passed. And Zambia winning the African Cup of Nations in 2012 as it was so
unlikely, and I am from the country.

What coach/player/team inspires you? Why?

I know this is a controversial choice right now because of recent ongoings. Victor Sanchez Del
Amo because he is a talented coach but has had bad luck with jobs. He got fired a few weeks into
his Olympiacos job, he got fired from a Real Betis side he steered away from relegation in a
season where they had three coaches and completely overhauled the squad for Quique Setien in
the next summer and tried everything with a Malaga side that sold off its best assets and did not
invest because of the owner. He also developed Pau Torres from Villareal loanee to a good ball-
playing centre-back that plays for Villareal and the Spanish National Team within four months.
He continues to be willing to coach, to be willing to learn and once reached out to commend an
analysis piece on him that I wrote.

I, like, everyone on Twitter, love Rene Maric. He teaches us interesting things like not using
difficult football terminology for the sake of seeming knowledgeable as well as speaking about
formations in terms of shape, position and situation rather than in a more binary fashion. He also
speaks about not using terms like man-marking and zonal marking which makes sense when you
think about it as most teams use both in pressing and low-block situations. The fact that he has
achieved so much at such a young age while remaining humble and interactive on social media is
a lesson that I try to take on. He has also retweeted a few of my articles which has led to a 300%
rise in traffic on my website.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to get into media/analytics?

I learned this really late but have your own blog/platform where you control the output and post
about whatever you want. People may find it interesting, I spent so much time writing for other
blogs that I rarely built myself up and when I applied for jobs with Media outlets that had no idea
what Football Oranje was or could not quantify the importance of the blogosphere, it really
showed. Now, that I have my own site at leftbackfootball.com, people have something to link me
too and I get more freelance work than when I was writing on other blogs. I also control my
output and what I want to write about which has given my site a range that you would struggle to
find elsewhere. It has led to interest from football people and just normal fans, it’s crazy but the
analytics show that they are people who will spend an hour on my site, rummaging through
articles.

Never be afraid to reach out. I am still learning this but more clubs than you think are willing to
listen to ideas to expand an audience and more people are willing to chat about football. My best
piece of work ever which is an analysis of Kevin Vogt under Nagelsmann came about when I
asked the Hoffenheim press officer for some quotes from Nagelsmann and Vogt. He showed
great kindness to get them for me and that really made that article stand out and has thus become
the article that I am most proud of.

What is your favorite app/tool to use (for fun!)?

I used to like WhoScored now I enjoy, and I am learning more about WyScout. There was a few
months where InStat let me use their software for free a few years ago and that was a blast,
having every league and every player at your finger-tips is exciting. I once spent 900 hours on
Football Manager turning Marseille into three-time Ligue 1 champions then winning the UEFA
Champions League with them before moving to Manchester United, winning the league and
losing the Champions League in extra time because all of my players got injured. I like the
translate tools on Android phones as I can read articles from Voetbal Internacional, El Pais,
Spielverlagerung and La Nacion. I also love Twitter.

What other sport/hobby/discipline do you feel improves your work as an analyst? Why?

I just got into watching the NFL, I try to watch about five/six games games in a weekend but
on Sunday, I switch to the NFL which allows me to unwind. It feels good to watch a sport for
fun rather than to gain tactical insight. I plan to start watching hockey because I was once
talking about Tim Walter build-up sequences on Twitter and someone in Dutch hockey
reached out and said that his way of build-up was similar to how they moved the ball in
hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11 Quick Questions with Xander Wilkinson

  Xander Wilkinson  - SC Heerenveen Scout What was your biggest fear when you decided to become a scout? The only slight fear that I had was...